Thursday, August 22, 2013

Out With the Old, In With the New

It's nearing the end of August and I realize that summer has come and gone so fast. My summer mostly consisted of weekend trips to Seoul, missions training and my mission trip to Jakarta, preparation for the new semester, and comings and goings.

The trip to Jakarta was outstanding in many ways. It would be one of the best missions trips that I've been on and the first with my current church. The team bonded so well and we really were a team, each member with his or her own role, endowed with unique talents and personalities. There were almost no hitches in logistics or heads butting. Our trip was marked with overwhelming laughter and joy. It was like heaven on earth in the way that we were able to simply love each other and extend that love to the Bible college students, pastors, and others that we ministered to. We were able to share our time like family, despite not even being able to speak the same language with the natives. I felt at peace and a tug at my heart to answer the call of a missionary. Perhaps one day I will find myself as the protagonist in one of Pastor Tarigan's accounts of exploits from the ends of the earth. There was certainly for me a renewed sense of purpose and a desire to serve in a greater capacity.

An update from a previous post: I have a new car. Well, I and three others have a new car, which is provided by our school, thanks to my accident and a hefty $1000 fine. My car-mates and I had a jolly old time stripping the plastic wrapping from the seats as if we were unwrapping Christmas gifts on Christmas morning.

Speaking of new things, my old roommate has left and I now have a new roommate. And speaking of departures, Chris Kim has left for America and with his departure is a large void at New Philadelphia and in my life.

The new semester is about to start and I'm excited to see my students. I'm ready to teach and move past my mistakes from the first semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment